Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Music Oldie

I need to take a break.

I went to HMV earlier, and was quite disappointed. I was browsing through every listening machine and every new album they have in display. Maroon5, Transformers soundtrack, Linkin Park, Kelly Clarkson, even Julio Iglesias, and all albums in their charts. Nothing seems to satisfy me anymore, music-wise at least.

It's a scary thought.

I went back to my roots, and bought Pearl Jam's "Ten" album. One of the albums that redefined the grunge era. I could've bought Nirvana or Soundgarden, but I owe it to myself to buy the album that made Pearl Jam Pearl Jam.

I think I'm getting old. I used to criticize older generation music enthusiasts for being unable to adapt to new music, which at that time was post-grunge. Now, I see myself in that situation, which is a bit discomforting to say the least.

It's getting difficult to choose music that I like. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to music, but with the current trend, my choices are getting slim. And it couldn't have arrived at a worse period. Buying cds back then was very difficult, simply because I had to save up for it. Now that I can buy them, there's almost nothing to buy.

Why is this so important to me? I don't know. As long as it makes the hair at the back of my neck stand up, or gets my head banging, or my feet stomping, it's fuckin' good. It's like food. I have high tolerance for repeatability. I can listen to the same music over and over. But eventually it will leave a bad taste in your mouth, and you'd be craving for new food.

I am currently feeding off from my own leftovers, recycled music. I'm afraid that when I reach thirty, I'd be listening to the same music I was listening to 10 or 15 years ago. (Wait, that's happening now!)

I wish some kickass band comes out with a new type of music, that has a little bit of everything in it. Angry, passionate, experimental, flowing, and most importantly, unique.

I think I've given up on that dream of being part of that music savior thing. People are content with what's coming out nowadays. There's no point to save anyone anymore. I just need to save myself, from getting music-old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home